Sunday 8 September 2013

Surviving Hong Kong

It's been a while since my last post primarily due to work taking over my life and not wanting to spend the few precious moments away from work sitting in front of a computer.  The last month has been incredibly tough, resulting in endless soul searching over what I truly want from my life.  Hong Kong is a tough city to work in.  In the past, I have always had confidence that I have been good at my various jobs and an asset to any company I have worked for, suddenly I find myself engulfed by a sense of failure and an inability to achieve.  With my character being tested to the limits, every single day I am torn between battling on or walking away.

David and I are very fortunate that in the short time we have been here we have made some close friends and got to know our Hong Kong family - Uncle Neil and Uncle Paul - all of whom have been an invaluable support through the past challenging month.  The words of Uncle Neil, ring in my ears daily:

"Hong Kong is a city of survivors - people who have been through some very difficult times without succumbing - they respect survivors."

As a Hong Kong veteran of over 50 years, and a highly successful business man, I know Neil talks sense.  So, this is becoming my daily mantra to remind me to keep fighting, to stick with it and remain positive that all will turn out well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear what you think so please do post a comment. If you would rather contact me privately, please email me at dreamscheming@gmail.com.