Wednesday 29 May 2013

My body is a temple

As my body is supposed to be a temple, I made a decision last week that it is time for me to do something about it to make it worthy of worshipping.  Living in the Mid-Levels in Hong Kong is not conducive to a healthy lifestyle.  If you are weak-willed - as I can be - and you are surrounded by countless bars and restaurants within easy stumbling distance, it is too easy to be lured astray on a daily basis.  It is not uncommon for David and I to go for a quick glass of wine during happy hour, only to forget to go home once happy hour has finished and to fall through our front door, many glasses of wine down, having forgotten to eat dinner.  This sort of behaviour is perfect for instigating post-wine paranoia and the booze blues the following day - far from ideal when you have a nagging homesickness that keeps rearing its head.

So, taking my positive, healthy future into my own hands, I took myself to an open day at i-detox on Saturday - a wellness education centre in Central.  Initially I thought that I would attend the open day talk on Superfoods and take my new found knowledge and start to make some little changes to make my lifestyle a little less toxic.  However, having completed the questionnaire to determine how 'toxic' my body is, I was horrified at the possible impact that everything I happily shove into my mouth appears to be having on my health.  Before I could mutter 'goji berries', I was signing up to a 12 day detox programme and handing over my credit card - convincing myself that this was an investment into my future.
My detox foods


Having had my 'last supper' on Saturday.... and then again on Sunday... Monday was 'D-day' and my new healthy regime was activated.  No longer do I smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, eat meat, dairy, wheat or gluten.  My diet is filled with fruit, vegetables, pulses and brown rice - accompanied with previously unheard of superfoods including spirulina, flax seeds, cacao nibs and raw vegan rice protein.  As uninspiring as it may sound, the foods are surprisingly tasty, if you know what to do with them.  As you can imagine I don't have a clue on how to cook anything vegan but fortunately I have been provided with a few recipes and we have an organic restaurant very close by which serves vegan food that - hand on heart - is absolutely delicious!

Delicious zucchini pesto


Today is day three of detox.  Monday and Tuesday were difficult days - I'll spare the details, suffice to say that I needed to remain close to a toilet - and I suffered terrible headaches.  However, today I have woken up and feel as though the rain cloud has been lifted from my head and I definitely feel brighter and more energised.  I have also lost 3lbs already - wooohoooo!

Only 9 days left before my body is converted to a fully-restored temple.  I will keep you updated on my progress and I will happily start a wager on how long it takes for me to revert from a clean-living vegan to a smoking, drinking carnivore!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear what you think so please do post a comment. If you would rather contact me privately, please email me at dreamscheming@gmail.com.