Monday 29 April 2013

Role Reversal

The husband and I appear to have undergone a strange role reversal since my arrival in Hong Kong.  This became apparent this morning when I was rudely awoken by the irritating, repetitive alarm tone David has set on his phone at 6am.  This was followed shortly afterwards by David leaping out of bed and diving into his gym kit, before disappearing out the door, not to return for an hour.  During which time I was able to fall back into a deep slumber, only to be woken again by a bright and sprightly David slamming the front door shut to triumphantly announce that he had been for a hike up The Peak - oh, and he had also done a magnificent set of press-ups and tricep dips at the top.  Mumbling 'well done dear' to encourage this new-found morning energy, I managed to catch a further forty winks while the slightly smug David jumped into the shower.  He left for work before I had even lifted my head off the pillow.



This is a far cry from life back in Hamble when it would be me getting up as the alarm sounded at 6am and disappearing off around the airfield with a bouncing Winnie, while David snuffled into his pillow like a content piglet.  It would be me returning, usually drenched, windswept and muddy, and me jumping into the shower while David grunted dissatisfaction at having been woken up again before his alarm sounded at 8am.  In the old days, I would have left the house for work before my husband had even stirred properly from his slumbers.  How I am enjoying this reversal of roles.

I will caveat this by saying that this has only happened on one morning so far and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts for.  I would also hasten to add, that I can guarantee that if we actually need to be somewhere by a certain time in the morning eg collecting our ID cards from the Immigration Department, I can pretty much guarantee that he will continue to lie in bed hitting the snooze button until I am ready to throttle him!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear what you think so please do post a comment. If you would rather contact me privately, please email me at dreamscheming@gmail.com.